(July 14, 1805 - August 3, 1895) Considered by many as the "Mother Of Houston," Charlotte Marie Baldwin Allen was a leader in Houston during a time when women had few rights and fewer opportunities. She was born in Onondaga County, New York, and was the daughter of Elizabeth (Warner) and Dr. Jonas Cutler Baldwin. She married Augustus Chapman Allen in 1831. Charlotte arrived in Texas in 1834 when she joined her husband and his brother and business partner, John Kirby Allen, both of whom were already actively engaged in Texas land speculation. In August 1836 the Allen brothers purchased land on Buffalo Bayou and were soon advertising the establishment of a city called Houston. Although she left Texas in 1835 for health reasons, Charlotte returned in 1837 and assumed a prominent role in the development of Houston.
After the death of her brother-in-law, John Kirby Allen, in 1838, Charlotte became a participating member in the extensive business dealings of the Allen and Baldwin families. She became involved in all aspects of business, from registering her own cattle brand in 1838 and directing the construction of a slaughterhouse to process the beef, to negotiating numerous real estate and development projects. After the civil war, Allen continued as an accomplished businesswoman, overseeing the sale of numerous properties. She donated various plots, including Old Market Square, to the City of Houston and to churches and civic organizations. When Allen died, flags flew at halfstaff in Houston in her honor. In 1907, Charlotte Baldwin Allen elementary school became the first public school in Houston named for a woman. (2009) Marker Is Property Of The State Of Texas