HC Home - HC (A-Z) - Court Agenda - County Directory - Employees - County Holidays - Related Links
 
 
 
 

Harris County Historical Commission received
 the 2014 Distinguished Service Award from the
Texas Historical Commission

 Governor Abbott Appoints Hanson to State Cemetery Committee

 

The Texas Historical Commission and the Harris County Historical
Commission  recognized the Cullen Building at Baylor’s main campus
as the first building to be completed in the Texas Medical Center.
An official Texas Historical Marker was unveiled acknowledging
the Cullen building as a significant part of history.

Cullen Dedication

 Left to right starting with Ed is: Dr. William T. Butler, Chancellor
Emeritus, Baylor College of Medicine; The Honorable Mark White Governor of
Texas, (1983-1987); Corbin J. Robertson, Jr. Trustee, Baylor College of
Medicine and a Cullen descendant; Paul Klotman, M.D., President, CEO and
Executive Dean of Baylor College of Medicine and The Honorable David
Dewhurst, Lieutenant Governor of Texas (1983-2015).

 

Have you seen the markers we have here in Harris County?

march is texas history month 

HARRIS COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION
MARKER INVENTORY COMMITTEE

by Jim Fisher

The Harris County Historical Commission’s Marker Inventory Committee is responsible for tracking and identifying historical markers, monuments and designated historic properties in Harris County. The HCHC committee’s goal is to assemble a definitive listing for all such markers, monuments and sites. This inventory includes official Texas Historical Commission (THC) markers and historic cemeteries, as well as monuments and markers erected by other civic organizations. While the HCHC is not responsible for other organizational monuments and markers, it can assist the public by providing information about them and/or directing them to the proper custodian when requested. It should be noted that most of these non-THC markers pre-date the State of Texas’ establishment of an official marker system in the 1930’s. This formal inventory has been under continuous development for over a decade. Each site is visited and documented by the committee’s volunteers, to include GPS readings, site photos, etc. This information is then recorded in a database which allows the committee chair to analyze and report the entire inventory by a wide range of identifiers. The committee also keeps track of markers that have been damaged/restored, placed in storage, or rescinded. With information provided by the HCHC Marker Committee, new marker applications are tracked by this committee as they move from submission to the THC, to installation and dedication. These ‘in the pipeline’ markers are reported to the full HCHC commission at each quarterly meeting. This on-going process has resulted in the identification and recording of many markers and monuments not previously documented by this commission. The Marker Inventory Committee has now cataloged a total of 69 “other organizational” inventory entries. This includes the identification of the oldest existing marker in the county, the 1908 “In Memory of Alexander Hodge” monument in Houston’s Sam Houston Park. Over the last six years, through the addition of new Texas Historical Commission and Harris County markers, the documentation of Historic Texas Cemeteries, and the identification of community Sesquicentennial markers, this section of the inventory has grown by 112 entries. The THC inventory now totals 491 entries. The total number of entries in the HCHC database has grown by approximately 25% during this period.

 

 HCHC Markers & Monuments by Category

 

The Baylor College of Medicine community gathered this afternoon outside the Roy and Lillie Cullen Building to celebrate the building’s dedication as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.

The Texas Historical Commission recognized the Cullen Building at Baylor’s main campus as the first building to be completed in the Texas Medical Center. An official Texas Historical Marker was unveiled acknowledging the Cullen building as a significant part of history. Baylor President, CEO and Executive Dean Dr. Paul Klotman opened the ceremonies with special guests former Texas Gov. Mark White, former Texas Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and Corbin J. Robertson Jr., board member and grandson of Roy Cullen, for whom the building is named. Other members of the Cullen family also were in attendance as well as representatives from the Harris County Historical Commission.

The Cullen family, The Cullen Foundation and The Cullen Trusts for Health Care and Higher Education have been deeply involved in the support and growth of Baylor for 71 years. In 1947, Roy and Lillie Cullen’s gift of $800,000 helped complete construction of the building. Since then, their commitment has continued with the establishment of the $160 million Cullen Foundation to provide continual aid to education and medicine.  “Baylor has played an important role in the history of this city and state, and we are very proud of that,” said Klotman. “It was made possible through the incredible generosity of the Cullen family, and we are grateful for their support.”

Dr. Edward C. “Ed” Ming Chen, representative of the Harris County Historical Commission, talked about the importance of Baylor to the community as well as the significance of the Cullen family, not just on Baylor but other institutions as well. White added, “The Cullen family has made an unparalleled investment in the future of our state and world. They truly have made a difference in the lives of all of us.”

Dr. William Butler, chancellor emeritus at Baylor, who was instrumental in acquiring the designation, spoke on the history of the Cullen building. The history of the college is rooted in its relationship with Baylor University and that relationship continues to be strong today. When the institution moved from Waco to Houston to start the Texas Medical Center in 1943, it was a catalyst for the development of the largest medical center in the world. In 1947 the building was completed and in 1969 the college separated from Baylor University to become an independent institution known as Baylor College of Medicine.  “We have a lot to be proud of in the state of Texas, especially our history. Part of that history is this building,” said Dewhurst. “The Cullen family’s love of Houston and the Texas Medical Center has impacted us all.”

Robertson, who unveiled the marker, emphasized that it’s not just the building that is important, but the work that goes on inside of it.   “Today is about the people that those buildings attract, including doctors, trainees and researchers,” he said. “Their shared knowledge will continue to be beneficial to us all. The quality of life we all enjoy is because of the work of the people at Baylor and others. As the Cullen family, we are happy to be a part of this.”

 

Calendar
Calendar

Cemeteries
Cemeteries

Newsletter
Search Harris County

Research in Harris County
Search Harris County

Historical Societies
Search Harris County